We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.

More info
This photo is copyrighted by the author.
Thank you for respecting the rights and efforts of our photographers. Please contact the author for further information.

Portugal Convento de Cristo - Convent of Christ -Tomar - Portugal

  • Please log in or sign up for free to see the geo position & weather for this photo spot
Add photoBookmark
O Convento de Cristo é um monumento na cidade de Tomar (freguesia de S. João Baptista), classificado pela UNESCO como Património Mundial. Foi fundado em 1160 1 pelo Grão-Mestre da Ordem dos Templários, dom Gualdim Pais, e ainda conserva memórias desses monges cavaleiros e dos herdeiros do seu cargo, a Ordem de Cristo, os quais fizeram deste edifício a sua sede. Sob Infante D. Henrique o Navegador, Mestre da ordem desde 1418, foram construídos claustros entre a Charola e a fortaleza dos Templários, mas as maiores modificações verificam-se no reinado de D. João III (1521-1557). Arquitectos como João de Castilho e Diogo de Arruda procuraram exprimir o poder da Ordem construindo a igreja e os claustros com ricos floreados manuelinos que atingiram o máximo esplendor na janela da fachada ocidental.

Trata-se de uma construção periurbana, implantada no alto de uma elevação sobranceira à planície onde se estende a cidade. Está circundado pelas muralhas do Castelo de Tomar e pela mata da cerca.

Actualmente é um espaço cultural, turístico e ainda devocional. A arquitectura partilha traços românicos, góticos, manuelinos, renascentistas, maneiristas e barrocos.
The Convent of Christ is a monument in the city of Tomar (parish of St. John the Baptist), a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It was founded in 1160 by the first Grand Master of the Knights Templar, Gualdim Pais gift, and still retains memories of those knights monks and the heirs of his office, the Order of Christ, which made this building is situated. Under Prince Henry the Navigator, the order Master since 1418, cloisters were built between the Rotunda and the fortress of the Knights Templar, but the greatest changes occur at the reign of King John III (1521-1557). Architects as João de Castilho and Diogo de Arruda sought to express the power of the Order building the church and cloisters with rich Manueline flourishes that reached its height in the west facade window.

This is a peri-urban construction, located high on a hilltop elevation to the plain where the city extends. Is surrounded by the walls of the Castle of Tomar and the forest fence.

Today it is a cultural, tourist and even devotional space. The architecture shares Romanesque features, Gothic, Manueline, Renaissance, Mannerist and Baroque.

Photography Tips

Please log in or sign up for free to see the photography tips.

Travel Information

Carro, ou comboio até à cidade de Tomar.

Comes to town by car, or train.
Crowd Factor A decent amount of people
Best Timing All timings are equally good
Sunrise & Sunset 06:04 - 21:06 | current local time: 07:27
Locations Tomar
Please log in or sign up for free to see the exact geo details for this spot on a dynamic map.

Spot Comments (0)

Please log in or sign up for free to leave a comment or ask a question.

Ratings (1) starstarstarstarstar

starstarstarstarstar
1
starstarstarstarstar
0
starstarstarstarstar
0
starstarstarstarstar
0
starstarstarstarstar
0

Nearby photography spots

Thank you Pedro Crispim for creating this photo spot and James Cogger, Bernardo Lorena Ponte for improving it with additional photos or content.
Imprint & Contact © Locationscout 2021 Privacy / Terms