Redesigned Spots in App · Spot Images are now instantly swipeable, display the photographer, and can be liked without having to enter full-screen mode. A revised layout, larger typography, and a repositioned bookmark button make this view easier to use on the go.
- Better & faster Images in the App · Images inside the app are now also displayed in modern image formats with higher resolution and smaller file sizes to further improve loading speed while saving you mobile traffic. Old iOS devices will have access to new jpg formats as a fallback.
13.809 manual spot content improvements.
Better & faster Images · After working on this big change for so long, it's a bit sad that you hopefully won't even recognize it. Thanks to the great efforts of Stephan, he and I have implemented a completely new image resizing service that converts all uploaded images to new image formats like 'webp', resulting not only in much better image quality, but also much smaller file sizes and thus faster loading pages, especially on mobile devices.
- Goodbye Cookie Hint · By getting rid of Google Ads and replacing Google Analytics with a cookie-free and privacy-focused alternative, I can finally lead by example and make the web a better place without cookie-based tracking or advertising.
- Images in grids are now loaded independently, which significantly increases the speed until you see the grid and individual photos smoothly fade in.
- Goodbye Google Ads · It was finally time to replace these annoying Google ads. This will result in a lower income for me again, but the shown ads (50% scam) and how they affected the user experience were not in line with my conviction and integrity for long enough now. The new ads are designed by me and will only recommend things I would buy or use myself.
- Editable Locations and Themes · While the title and content of spots had been editable for years, now anyone can also edit the locations and themes directly in the spot to further improve the content.
- New Icons · With the new version of the iconset, I fully reworked how they are integrated, resulting in 90% file size reduction and therefore a lot faster loading speed, especially on mobile phones where pages with very few or no images are less than half the size now.
- Performance · Fully reworked how fonts are loaded in modern browsers, resulting in much faster loading with less traffic used.
- Improved finding a country within the Spot Uploader to solve the very rare but annoying 'We couldn't find a country for this spot.'-issue.
- Improved 'Forgot Password' feature by displaying a notice when the account is not yet enabled and therefore the email cannot be sent. I also enabled the use of this feature while logged in, which is helpful if you actually forgot the password to log in to the app, but are still logged in to the website and therefore redirected to the home feed.
Colored Markers in Around Me · With version 1.1.15, Spot Markers in Around Me within the iOS and Android app are now colored according to their popularity to ensure that you don't miss the most interesting spots and regions.
- What's new inside the App · A new beautiful modal will show you the latest bigger feature updates inside the app when you login to the new app version for the first time.
- Around Me became Around Anywhere · With version 1.1.14, the iOS and Android app now have a fully reworked Around Me feature with a beautiful split view and Custom Positions that you can create for places you want to visit and immediately see what's nearby.
- About us · Since I get this question a lot, I thought it was time to create an About Us page where I share the journey of the platform and who is helping me improve it.
- The app for iOS and Android got a full redesign · With the latest version 1.1 the apps finally have a beautiful Explore tab with lots of inspiring places for your next trip, a gorgeous Dark Mode, easier access to Search and Bookmarks, and lots of other improvements.
- We just saved another 480m² of rainforest in Canada · To fight climate change, we invest part of the revenue through Premium subscriptions in environmental projects around the world, already resulting in 1120m² binding over 117 t CO2.
- Search Aliases · Searching got even easier now with aliases that ensure you find the right Location or Country by showing you a suggestion when you searched for 'Köln' but the actual Location with many more Spots is called 'Cologne'.
- Change password in profile settings · You finally don't need to use the forgot password feature anymore to set a new one. You can simply change it now in the profile settings.
- Improved loading speed for board spot and map view significantly.
- Fixed a bug with South Korea not having a separate country page because South and North Korea were both named identical as 'Korea'.
- New users will now see an onboarding when logging in for the first time on the website.
- You are finally able to see the current newsletter subscription status in your profile settings and change it from there.
- What's new · This beautiful new page now helps you to stay up to date with the latest new features, improvements and content releases. Even though I am only a solo-developer working on this platform, there are quite a few awesome external people helping me to release so much new stuff for you on a regular basis. Feature suggestions via mail are always highly appreciated.
- Explore · Get inspired for your next trip by the entirely new Explore page.
- New Font · Locationscout has a beautiful modern font now with tons of smaller optimizations to improve the readability and bolder headlines to make sections easier to recognize.
- Download Area · Locationscout is all about finding beautiful spots to take photos, but it's also really important to me that you won't only find these beautiful places but also get your own best possible photo. That's why the platform has a Learn Section which got extended by a Download Area now with 2 initial high-quality Lightroom preset packages.
- Newsletter Redesign · The monthly newsletter received a full redesign with less text and more focus around beautiful photos from the community and helpful content from the Learn Section.
- The entire Learn Section has a new beautiful dark design to match the videos while giving the content itself more focus.
- Learn entries now have a subtle slide effect when hovering them to show the author and give the photos more space with less text on them.
- The Learn Section is finally looking good on mobile devices.
- Spots Nearby Feature · The Spots Nearby Feature was already available for Premium users in the app and now it's also available on the website, making planning a trip a lot more convenient because you immediately see spots that you can combine and visit together. Simply click the button in the top left on the map within each spot to enable the feature and select a spot to calculate walking time and see the shortest route.
- Spots now have a bigger map.
- 50+ Location Guides · This month is more about content and therefore there are over 50 new high quality Location Guides within popular locations like Hawaii, Florida, The Hague and many more. You can find the entire list in our Location Section. All of this wouldn't have been possible without Bianka, who wrote most of these texts and did a fantastic job researching and gathering all the information needed to visit these places.
- Verified Profiles · We are 62.000+ travelers and photographers already, so it's definitely time to give more of you a chance to highlight your beautiful galleries with features like the new verified profiles. Verified profiles are indicated by a small check behind the name in spots, comments, the feed, and in the profile.
- Profile Tooltips · A new profile tooltip is shown when you hover profile images in the feed or below spot images to get more details about this photographer immediately.
- Licensing · Nowadays, stock-image platforms are taking up to 85% of the revenue while forcing the photographers to fixed prices which result in earnings of less than 10 Cents per image sold. I am a photographer myself and as the founder / solo developer of this platform, I simply can't accept the status quo. That's why I am introducing a new license feature this month. Earn money via Locationscout by offering your photos for licensing. No middleman fee, 100% your revenue. Learn more
- Weather · One of the most important factors for a great landscape photo is now shown within each spot around the world in real-time. Learn more
- Stephan and I did improve the page speed again by around 10-15%.
- For all our friends from the United States, Palau, Federated States of Micronesia, Marshall Islands, Cayman Islands, Liberia, the Bahamas, and Belize, I made sure to set the temperature to Fahrenheit for the new weather feature, which can be changed in the profile settings at any time.
- Big Performance Upgrade · We tripled our server infrastructure with an entirely new basis to reach faster loading times (up to 3x more speed) and scale limitlessly.
- We invested a lot of time to improve pages that became slow because of more and more data like the home feed, which is now up to 10x (!!) faster than before due to lots of performance improvements on how data is loaded.
Support further development
Thank you for every Premium Subscriber for your financial support, making all these improvements possible in the first place. Everything before January 2021 and all the small daily improvements aren't listed because that would go beyond the scope.
Founder of Locationscout