Thank you for respecting the rights and efforts of our photographers. Please use our social media buttons to share this image or contact the author for further information.
2) Drive past Seljalandsfoss, Eyjafjallajökull Erupts Museum, and Skogarfoss.
3) Around 6km from Skogarfoss you will drive across a bridge that crosses quite a substantial river called Jokulsa that is fed from the Sólheimarjökull glacier.
Once across you will see a left-hand turn signposted for Sólheimarjökull. This is how you know that this is the bridge we are talking about.
4) Carry along Route 1 towards Vik but keep an eye out on the right and side of the road as you will see a farmers field that is fenced off.
5) As you drive along this road it will very gradually go uphill and then downhill again. Keep watching the fence because you will eventually come across an obvious entrance that has a cattle grid. You need to turn right here. This entrance is about 2km from the bridge crossing.
You will know this is the right road as the dirt track bends to the right at the entrance and it is the only opening in the fence you will come across. If you cross another river or see a left-hand turn then you have missed the farmers track.
6) It is no longer possible to drive directly down to the plane as the landowners have closed the road due to vandalism, so you must park at the entrance and walk about 45 minutes to the plane each way.